Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Champion

I've never been one to have a hero.  Growing up I, like most kids, looked up to certain people.  Whether these people were real or from my favorite animated television show varied greatly.  As I grew older, and started taking a closer look at the human race, those individuals became more and more of the animated persuasion.
In my adult life, the concept of a hero has grown into to something that only children can truly appreciate.  There are some amazing humans out there, don't get me wrong, but none that I would consider idolizing on the hero stage.  We're all just human, right?  Those of us that do "good" are really just doing what we're supposed to be doing.
On January 19, 2013, I changed my mind. Before my very eyes I saw a single human being endure what I perceived as impossible.  There was pain and exhaustion beyond anything that I've ever experienced.  There was also strength and determination that I could never emulate. Before me was the will of a human juggernaut.  I held this person in my own arms, so even if my vision was telling lies, my sense of touch made it tangible.  I was there when I thought that I'd seen all this person had to give, and I was there when this person showed me there was so much more.
After two days of labor, Lan gave birth to our son.  And after all of that, she held him with the strength fueled by a love that endures regardless of any burden placed on it.
My wife is my hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment