Monday, January 7, 2013

Smelling Roses

I'm a Pediatrician. That is to say, that is the career path I pursued and was lucky enough to obtain it. Like the majority of doctors around the world, I listen. I listen to stories, machines, babies, organs, etc.  I will admit that I get on cruise-control with some of the physical exams. It's not that I'm missing anything of diagnostic value, but a healthy portion of my exam is "non-focused."
Let me explain. When a person, in my case a child, comes to the hospital, they are usually complaining of one major issue. If that issue is a skin infection that's very localized and the history is not suggestive of anything out of the ordinary, then my listening for bowel sounds is important, but unlikely to yield any additional information that will change my decision making. So, I "focus" my exam on the involved area and then add "non-focused" elements as I see fit.
Every so often, in a situation like I just explained, I'll settle my stethoscope over the heart. I'll wait, and listen. It's a beautiful thing, to be honest. Never stopping to take a break; never questioning the demands placed on it; striving to perform, even in times of injury. If any single piece of our body deserves the perseverance award, my vote goes for the undulating muscle slaving away in our chest.
Sometimes, I listen to my wife's heart when she's sleeping. It's strength gives me pause. Soon, provided the unthinkable doesn't happen, our family will be one larger. I hope this new heart is as strong as Mother's. I can't wait to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment